In this fast-paced world is it even possible to bring work-life balance? Or is your work-life balance going out of balance? Read signs, pro tips and a lot more to master this art completely.
- 1 What’s Actually Work-Life Balance? Work-Life Balance Definition
- 2 6 Signs That Show Your Work-Life Balance Needs to be Balanced:
- 3 6 Incredible Benefits of Work-Life Balance:
- 4 Pro Tips for Work-Life Balance:
- 5 Ending Thoughts on Work-Life Balance:
What’s Actually Work-Life Balance? Work-Life Balance Definition
Many people believe that work-life balance is dividing hours of the day between work life and personal life, equally. In actual, work-life balance is entirely different from that.
So what work-life balance actually is? Work-Life Balance is the state of stability in which work life and personal life (family, friends, leisure time, etc.) both are given equitable time without letting one life affect the other.
When these two lives are not managed the way they should be, things get out of hand and the world around looks nothing but a messy heap of stressful tasks.
On the contrary, if things are managed effectively, without letting stress take control of you, your performance at work and personal life will not only make you happy but people around you will also start enjoying your company more.
You May Also Like:
- 21 Things We All Take For Granted But Someone Else Is Praying For.
- Tired of Life? 5 Clear Signs & 9 Powerful Steps To Wipe Out This Feeling.
- 23 Smart Answers To What Do You Do For Fun.
6 Signs That Show Your Work-Life Balance Needs to be Balanced:
Want to know if you have work-life balance or not? Check out the following list and figure out are things out of balance or not.
- Most of the time you feel physically and mentally drained. You often wish to leave everything behind and go live somewhere else all alone.
- You feel that things, both work-related and personal matters, are gradually getting out of hand.
- With the passing day, you are becoming short-tempered. Even the small things at work or home irritate you now.
- Office work is getting tougher to manage in time. You work for hours, still, your work remains incomplete so you either work overtime or bring office-work at home.
- You are mostly found absent from family functions, due to your workload or mismanagement.
- Your social life and relationships are constantly disturbed. You are sacrificing social life for the sake of completing your work-related task every day.
6 Incredible Benefits of Work-Life Balance:
1. Improves Physical and Mental Health
If you are keeping work-life balance then not only your mental but also physical health will get improved.
Because when things start going smoothly and not haphazardly, you become mentally relaxed and less stressed.
Spending more time in the office sitting on a chair for longer period definitely leaves its drastic effects on the body, most commonly obesity. But keeping a balance gives you time to work on your body through exercise, yoga or diet.
You get weekends for yourself, not for the completion of the assignment whose deadline is reaching soon. So a visit to the gym once in a while will definitely not harm your body.
2. Increases Level of Productivity
Better physical and mental health is directly proportional to the level of productivity. The better is your health; the better is your productivity. Your performance in the office and all other aspects of life get recovered.
Guilt that you have been feeling for the things, you started a few months ago but could not complete, will leave your mind because now you have a balanced approach to make time for everything.
Every pending task, it could be anything from painting your home to starting a new language course, will get the time without getting neglected anymore.
3. Happy Social Life & Relationships
My personal favorite benefit of keeping balance in work and personal life is that your relationships and social life get the time they deserve.
Family and friends are like supportive pillars in life, who are always there to share your sorrows and burden. And in return, you are expected to share their sorrows and burden as well.
Our relationships and social connections become the source of happiness in life. But keeping ourselves engaged in work all the time can seriously harm this true source of happiness. There is no doubt that work is an essential part but make sure that does not affect your lifelong relationships.
4. Gives True Sense of Contentment
When you are fulfilling all your responsibilities in the right way and don’t feel burdened about not giving your family/friends/yourself the time they deserve, you find inner contentment and fulfillment. And it’s the strongest power to have.
When you know that you are reaching your goals not only in the office but in your personal life as well, you smile inwardly with true contentment.
And if this balance is disturbed due to negligence or lack of management, that guilt of not giving your kids, partner, friends the time they deserve kills you inwardly. Why? Because you deeply know that your loved ones too need your time and attention, so this feeling of not fulfilling your duty keeps disturbing you even while doing work.
5. Makes You More Committed towards Work
When people overwork, things get out of hand due to their mismanagement of roles in life, they unconsciously start hating their job. They blame their job for all the things going wrong. But actually not their job, but their mismanagement of finishing tasks in designated time should be blamed.
On the contrary, when goals related to all aspects of life are getting fulfilled, you feel motivated to work harder and make things better than before. Your level of enthusiasm towards tasks at the workplace rises. You work willingly rather than just to get a paycheck or to get all work burden off of your shoulders.
6. You get More Time for Yourself
Giving more time to work does not only affect your relationship with others but affects your relationship with yourself as well.
You become too stressed to even think about your performance in other facets of life. To make yourself a better version it’s important to analyze your performance, to do self-analysis. But it all needs some time alone in which you can look inside yourself and think where are you lacking? What does need amendment?
In contrast, when you don’t sacrifice your personal time for work you get plenty of time to analyze yourself, to work on yourself.
You can join the class you have always wanted to join but could not do so due to lack of time. Or you can do any course to sharpen your already existing skills. You can spend more time with yourself to resolve all internal conflicts.
Pro Tips for Work-Life Balance:
1. Manage Your Time
The first thing to do in order to bring balance is to consider your time’s value and manage it accordingly. Time management is an essential part of the workplace as it allows more work to be done in less time.
Some essential tips to develop this skill are:
- Plan your day before starting it.
- Keep your planner with you all the time to take note of your time and the things that you have to cover in that time.
- Avoid time-wasters they just come to delay the things more.
- Outsource some tasks and do those tasks yourself that you think are most important.
2. Keep Track of Time
It’s vital to check what is consuming most of your time and for that, you need to keep track of your time. It will make you realize where you’re spending more time and where you should be ACTUALLY spending it.
You can also easily identify time-wasting tasks through this. This habit will help you in so many ways such as:
- You will be more focused on the task you are currently doing.
- You will recognize what non-essential things you do that waste your time and disturb the schedule.
- Each task will get the time it needs to get accomplished. Do the most important and hard tasks first in the morning so that evening exhaustion does not disturb your performance of imp. tasks.
3. Prioritize Your Tasks
Work-life balance becomes possible if we prioritize things in life. Instead of spending more time on things that have secondary importance, do those first that are of utmost value and importance.
First, recognize the value of each task then prioritize every task accordingly. Prioritize your tasks in the following order:
- The first priority is for tasks that are urgent & important.
- Second for those that are important but not urgent.
- Then the tasks that are urgent but not important.
- The last place is for tasks that are neither important nor urgent.
4. Stop Saying YES Every Time
Ok. Let me be honest. If you keep saying YES to everyone for everything, you will never be able to bring balance in professional and personal life. I know it’s good to help others and all but remember there’s a limit for everything.
If you keep saying ‘yes’ you’ll never get the time and energy you need for yourself. Remember the following tips so next time you know how to actually say No.
- Decline the task directly and politely e.g., ‘no, but thanks for asking’
- Accept it that you can’t do EVERYTHING and please EVERYONE all the time.
- Remind yourself of the things that are of utmost value in life and need time first. Remember YOU are one of them.
- Create boundaries. It will help you do important things more effectively.
- Remember you’re not a robot so STOP acting like one.
5. Don’t Bring Unfinished Work Home
Bringing work home means bringing tension, depression, and stress with you. It interferes with your personal life and relationships at home. Remember that home is meant to be a place where you spend time with family and yourself, not with work again.
It will not let you give your mind and body the time they need to get recovered from the day’s stress. And you’ll fail to keep the work-life balance that you really need to bring.
So prioritize your tasks and complete them in the time by keeping yourself away from other distractions because due to these distractions you end up bringing work to home every other day.
6. Take Time to Meditate or Exercise
Work-life balance does not happen overnight. It takes energy, time and mindfulness to bring this balance and then maintain it.
Meditation helps a lot in keeping the person mindful throughout the day. It develops focus, releases stress and relaxes muscles. These all things will make it easy for you to keep balance in life and recognize what’s disturbing that balance.
Similarly, exercise helps in many ways by boosting physical and mental energy that you will need a lot to keep things stable and balanced.
Ending Thoughts on Work-Life Balance:
It might seem now that life has become a jumbled up mess but once you start working on work-life balance, things will start coming back to their original place. It will take time, energy and commitment but when you know you’re walking in the right direction, balance and contentment will find their way back to you.