Started college life but have no friends in college yet? Read my story and tips that I used and ended up from having no friends to having four awesome friends.
Five years back when I said goodbye to my high school and hello to college I was as scared about making new friends as you are right now!
Back then I was not that good at socializing as I am now (some things need time to be learned) so yeah I was pretty hesitant around new people.
As I was not the kind of person who would start a conversation with a new person effortlessly so I would plug in my headphones and go in my own world, ignoring all others around me. That was something I should not have done but this is how I was.
Although I knew that four years of college without any friend would be no less than hell for me but I ignored it thoughtlessly.
One day I forgot to bring my headphones so I had no other choice but to give attention to others around me and talk to them.
That day I made a new friend. YAY! I became less lonely. That very day I realized my fault of not putting an effort towards making a new friend. My mistake of not coming out of my comfort zone and attempting to bring a change in myself for good.
So I changed my mindset a lot. And guess what? Because of that change, I made four like-minded friends during the first year of college. We became a group of 5, stayed together and enjoyed college life like never before.
We collected so many good memories and developed a special bond that even till today after one year of completion of our college degree we talk to each other almost everyday.
Now you must be thinking how did someone like me (who would rather listen to her headphones than talk to people around her) make such awesome friends in one year.
Then let me share some of the really important tips that had helped me a lot in making new friends at a new place.
HAVE NO FRIENDS IN COLLEGE? LEARN FROM MY PERSONAL EXPERIENCE
If you are dreading going to your college every next day just because you don’t have friends in college then it is the right time for you to change it.
Want to make new friends in college? Make yourself more open towards new people, then you will be amazed to see how like-minded people become your friends soon.
1. No Friends in College? Become a Conversation Starter
Conversation performs a key role in the creation of a relationship. It serves as a bridge that connects two different sides and creates a link.
So if you’re seeking new friendship go and talk to the person who is sitting beside you.
Because you can’t just put headphones in ears (what I used to do) and believe that you will eventually make good friends. NO. You will have to make an effort. Real friendship does not happen on its own.
Conversation Starter Ideas:
Don’t know how to start a conversation? These ideas might help you:
- Found someone’s outfit, backpack or any other thing really good? Go and compliment them.
- Ask your classmate sitting beside you that from which country or city did them come? To keep the conversation going ask what’s special in their country.
- You can ask them about their expectations from the new college or degree.
- Talk about your goals or what sort of job you are going to opt after finishing your studies. Then ask them about their goals as well.
- During the conversation, if you find out you two have some common interests like any TV series, sports, musical band etc. Then talk about it. It will surely build a bond.
2. Make Your Social Skills Better – Social Skills Matter
If you are too shy to talk to strangers then you should begin developing good social skills. You can do this by going against the inner-voice that constantly tells you things that make you self-conscious or nervous.
Tips to Socialize Yourself More
Have no friends in college? Some tips on improving social skills that will definitely help you make new friends are:
- Don’t study alone in your dorm room. Either go to the library or suggest someone from your class to have a group-study for the test coming up next week.
- During lunch-break don’t eat alone. Go to the cafeteria and join someone you know.
- Don’t miss out on any event that your campus is hosting. Just because you don’t have any friends yet does not mean you can’t enjoy alone. Go because who knows you might meet a new friend there.
- Invite your classmates to your dorm and spend quality time together. Assure them that your door is always open to them.
- Use social media as well. Become friends there and learn about each other. Give compliments life free candies.
3. Be Who You Are – No Friends in College
While approaching new people, stay who you are. Do not present a fake version of yourself just for the sake of attention. Even if you become friends, such friendship will not last long.
Express yourself without doubting what others will think. You can’t lose yourself just to fit in.
Believe that we all are unique in our own way. So don’t mimic anybody else thinking that they are better than you. If you do that you will neither be yourself nor the other person you are trying to mimic.
So be yourself not someone else. Be confident about who you are!
4. Give Positive Vibes – No Friends in College
Those who give more positive vibes attract more people and positive things towards them. So check your behavior while talking to new people. Make sure you are not giving them bad vibes.
Tips to Give off Positive Vibes
- Keep your ears open. Don’t only talk but listen to others as well. Pay them attention.
- While talking keep your eye-contact. Also your shoulders broad. Show them you’re confident no matter what you are feeling from inside.
- Keep a relaxed smile on your face that will make you look friendly to talk to.
- Keep your tongue in check. Do not talk too much about yourself. Ask questions about them.
5. Become a Club Member – No Friends in College
Out of many benefits of college life, one is that you can join any club that fits you well.
Do you like reading books? Join a book club. Get an opportunity to mingle with readers to learn about their interests and share yours as well. Two readers who share a mutual interest in reading have a greater possibility of becoming really close friends.
Or if you are a sports person, join a sports club. It’s an incredible place to make new friends. There, people around you will share almost the same interests like keeping body fit, staying active, etc. That can become a base for a stable friendship.
6. Got Party Invitation? Don’t Miss out This Chance
Show up on parties you got invited to. Put an effort to dress up nicely and reach there on time.
This will show others that you care about them. They gave you an invitation, so you did not just dismiss it. Instead, you made time for it out of your schedule.
This will get you people’s attention. They will notice that you care. And who does not like approaching those who care about others?
Ending Thoughts on No Friends in College
Having no friends at a new place could feel like hell at the start. But remember that you are not alone. Many around you are just like you, looking for new buddies. So relax. And stop feeling lonely. Utilize your time fully.
It does not matter that you have got no friends yet. You can spend that time exploring the library and other such places alone. When you explore something alone, you give it more attention. So consider it a good chance.